Monday, November 2, 2009

First Post: Mythology Roleplaying System

Welcome to all readers. This blog is here to record the building of a new roleplaying system, entitled "Mythology". Over the coming weeks I'll be posting answers to all the obvious questions, such as "Does the world really need another system?", "What makes you think this will be any good?" and "Don't you have anything better to do?".

These will be followed shortly by responses to the slightly more constructive queries, "Oh okay then so what's it all about", "Doesn't it all seem a bit farfetched" and "Isn't it just like Dungeons and Dragons but not as good?".

However, before getting to that kind of soul-searching, I wanted to give a brief, personal introduction. I'm a software developer, and I have a long-standing enthusiasm for roleplaying games. Imagination is a really important part of who I am. That's why I'm starting this blog: I've got this idea, scratching at the back of my mind, demanding attention. The idea is to build a new roleplaying system, which will deliver something that I've never quite managed to find -- my own holy grail of systems. Of course I realise that I'm not going to build "The Best Roleplaying System The Universe Has Ever Known". But you know what, I just can't help wanting to try.

So this blog is how I'm going to do it. Sure, it's part marketing. But unless I can focus my ideas, communicate them and find a community, this idea of mine is dead already. I'd really like to think that this is possible, so I'm approaching this project with all the naivete and optimism that it demands. If I'm going to fail, it's not going to be because of cynicism or a lack of self-belief. Nope, if it goes nowhere, it's going to be after giving it my best shot. That's all anyone can do.

From the next post, things are going to start getting specific. I'll be starting to talk about mechanics, the world setting, some of the characters that I've built up as part of the process. I'll answer the "Power 19", a collection of questions put together on The Forge forums as a way of testing out ideas for new systems. Then, after presenting some of what's already done, I'll get into playtesting with my gaming group, discussions of options for mechanics, talking about artwork. I'll be looking for feedback, criticism, support, motivation and companions on the journey.

So, until next time, may your gaming be excellent.

Regards,
-Tennessee

No comments:

Post a Comment